Kat Von D, star of LA Ink”, signing copies of High Voltage Tattoo
- 1/30/09 7:00 PM at the Virgin Megastore – Stockton Street. San Francisco, CA.
- 2/2/09 4:00 PM at Borders Books – Camino Del Rio. San Diego, CA.
- 2/4/09 7:00 PM at Borders Books – McKinney Avenue. Dallas, TX.
- 2/7/09 2:00 PM at Borders Books – Las Vegas Blvd. South. Las Vegas, NV.
- 2/13/09 7:00 PM at Borders Books – Woodward. Birmingham, MI.
- 2/14/09 3:00 PM at Barnes & Noble – West Towne Mall. Madison, WI.
- 2/16/09 7:30 PM at Borders Books – Golf Road. Schaumburg, IL.
- 2/18/09 5:00 PM at Barnes & Noble – Nicollet Mall. Minneapolis, MN
- 2/21/09 2:00 PM at Borders Books – West End Avenue. Nashville, TN.
- 2/25/09 7:00 PM at Barnes & Noble – Haywood Road. Greenville, SC.
- 2/27/09 7:00 PM at Borders Books – St. Charles Avenue. New Orleans, LA.
- 3/3/09 7:00 PM at Borders Books – Biscayne Blvd. Aventura, FL.
- 3/7/09 2:00 PM at Borders Books – Broad Street. Philadelphia, PA.
- 3/14/09 2:00 PM at Borders Books – Wests Ridgley. Timonium, MD.
- 3/16/09 7:00 PM at Barnes & Noble – Warren Street. New York, NY
- 3/17/09 6:00 PM at Bookends – East Ridgewood Ave. Ridgewood, NJ.
- 3/18/09 6:00 PM at Barnes & Noble – Boylston Street. Boston, MA.
Kat Von D(born Katherine von Drachenberg on March 8, 1982) is a tattoo artist and television personality. She is best known for her work as a featured tattoo artist on the TLC reality television show Miami Ink. A subsequent TLC series starring Von D, LA Ink, premiered August 7, 2007 in the United States and November 11, 2007 in the UK.
L.A. Ink’s Kat Von D on POPTUB
Drachenberg was born on March 8th, 1982, in the city of Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. She moved to the United States when she was four settling in Colton, California. Her father René von Drachenberg is of German descent and her mother, Sylvia Galeano has Spanish-Italian roots. She speaks fluent Spanish and English. She has a brother Michael and a sister named Karoline Smith.
Growing up in the Inland Empire , she made her first tattoo in 1996 with a homemade rig at age 14, an old english “J” on her ankle, a memento of a love gone-by. In 1998, she began working in her first professional shop, Sin City Tattoo. This was a great period of growth in her work and led to her eventually moving to True Tattoo for a chance to work with Clay Decker and Chris Garver. This afforded her the opportunity to live and work in Hollywood, Los Angeles. While working at True Tattoo, Von D met her first husband, Oliver Peck, and occasionally worked at his tattoo shop, Elm Street Tattoo, in Dallas, Texas. She was featured in the 2008 book Permanence: Tattoo Portraits by artist Kip Fulbeck.
She is currently dating Nikki Sixx from the band Mötley Crüe.
Kat is starring in an upcoming film directed by Charlie Picemi, The Bleeding. Its plot follows a man on a mission to rid the world of vampires, one of which is Kat Von D. The film is set to open in 2009. The Film stars Vinnie Jones, DMX, Michael Madsen and Michael Matthias.
In 2008, Kat was one of the contributors to Carrie Borzillo-Vrenna’s book Cherry Bomb along with Dita Von Teese, Tori Amos, Cherie Currie of the Runaways, Terri Nunn, Lisa Loeb, Katy Perry, Jessicka, Samantha Maloney, Betsey Johnson, Anna Sui, and Louise Post. She gave tips on tattooing.
Kat owns her own make-up line on Sephora, and is the creator of the Musink festival. She has a book compiling her artworks and tattoos coming out in January 2009.
Kat Von D has inked Jim Rota of Fireball Ministry and a dear friend, Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio, Jeffree Star, a close friend of Kat’s, pro-skater/MTV star Bam Margera and fellow Jackass star Steve-O, Ja Rule, members of HIM, Frank Iero of My Chemical Romance, The Game, Kerry King of Slayer, Jesse Hughes of Eagles of Death Metal, Marta of Bleeding Through, Tim Lambesis of As I Lay Dying, Dave Navarro, Brent Hinds of Mastodon, Zacky Vengeance of Avenged Sevenfold , Lady Gaga , Mike Vallely of Revolution Mother, Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead, and Mike Kroeger of Nickelback. Recently she tattooed a portrait of bandmate Mick Mars on her current boyfriend, Nikki Sixx.
Kat Von D was immortalized in the Eagles of Death Metal song “High Voltage,” which was named after her shop and is featured on their third album “Heart On.” In an interview, Eagles of Death Metal’s Jesse Hughes said, “I wrote that for Kat Von D, because that girl’s bad ass. I was spinning one night, Hollywood rolling, it was like five in the morning, she was still at her shop with a couple of people, her High Voltage shop, and I came rolling in, we had fun. I’m home by seven in the morning and I’m sitting thinking what a rad night that was. I love this job. Bomb, ‘High Voltage,’ and then it came out.”
Von D was classically trained in piano beginning at age 6, and began listening to Misfits, The Ramones, and other punk rock at age 12. She particularly appreciates Ludwig van Beethoven and Space Station Wagon. Kat has tattooed herself with the emblems of the bands HIM, Turbonegro, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Slayer, and “Slutallica”, a modified Metallica logo.
book signing source: http://www.geocities.com/leecoke/